Cost of Living discussion

Message added by SanguinePar,

Moved this discussion on the Cost of Living from the Players Required thread, with Keyser's post being the starting point for the below discussion. Let me know if I've missed anything or moved the wrong post or whatever!

4 hours ago, Keyser Soze said:

In fairness to Dorrans we’re in the middle of a deadly cost of living crisis.

No we are not, we are on the receiving end of more media doom and gloom. Covid, climate change, party gate blah blah blah. Cost of living crisis is basically all part of the grand reset! As we did back in the day, you worked and worked more, you cut back and learned to live within your means. People praise the club for doing exactly that, yet bemoan the cost of living and look to point blame! I can remember interest rates at 15% and ice on the inside of my bedroom window when I got up in the morning and going to school with patches on my knees of my trousers.

I watched a couple with a buggy last week outside a foodbank with a case of tennents and 2 bottles of Buckie in the bottom of the buggy and both smoking tailor made fags! 

I had relatives booking holidays at Craig Tara with the last government heating grant of £400 in July.

I totally appreciate that some folk are really struggling to make ends meet, but I bet there is wiggle room in their budget but they are  not prepared to face it!

No utility company is looking for £3600 next week, that is an annual cost (£300 a month) on an average family home, pay what you can when it stabilises pay off your bad debt and reset the DD.

Global markets will increase production as we will in the UK to bring these prices down as quick as we can. They have too to show Russia they can’t control a global market on gas! 

UK and the rest of the world need to increase that long term production to prove the point.

ps fuel prices have come right down but you don’t see the media publishing it! 

• Downvote 7

6 hours ago, Rengade Master said:

No we are not, we are on the receiving end of more media doom and gloom. Covid, climate change, party gate blah blah blah. Cost of living crisis is basically all part of the grand reset! As we did back in the day, you worked and worked more, you cut back and learned to live within your means. People praise the club for doing exactly that, yet bemoan the cost of living and look to point blame! I can remember interest rates at 15% and ice on the inside of my bedroom window when I got up in the morning and going to school with patches on my knees of my trousers.

I watched a couple with a buggy last week outside a foodbank with a case of tennents and 2 bottles of Buckie in the bottom of the buggy and both smoking tailor made fags! 

I had relatives booking holidays at Craig Tara with the last government heating grant of £400 in July.

I totally appreciate that some folk are really struggling to make ends meet, but I bet there is wiggle room in their budget but they are  not prepared to face it!

No utility company is looking for £3600 next week, that is an annual cost (£300 a month) on an average family home, pay what you can when it stabilises pay off your bad debt and reset the DD.

Global markets will increase production as we will in the UK to bring these prices down as quick as we can. They have too to show Russia they can’t control a global market on gas! 

UK and the rest of the world need to increase that long term production to prove the point.

Trying way too hard buddy. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Rengade Master said:

It's obviously not wise to pass judgement based on a brief snapshot of someone's life...

...but it sounds probable to me that this couple stole their lager and cigarettes. Probably should have informed the authorities.

8 hours ago, Rengade Master said:

Some people are working two jobs and need foodbanks. This is the straw breaking the camels back for some. Elderly, disabled etc how do theyvwork harder exactly?

That reads like something reported on GB News or the Daily Mail Comments section.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Rengade Master said:

What The Wtf GIF by Justin

• Upvote 1

I mean this is taking it right off topic but just for starters, since when is paying £1.65 a litre for petrol “fuel coming right down”?

All I say is this attitude from some folk of “I had ice in my windows didn’t do me harm growing up” is just incredibly selfish.  What a way to view life, that we should all suffer as you did at some point.  

Millions are already at breadline point, energy and food price rises without income rising to match will drive this country into new charters when it comes to poverty.  If you can’t see or accept that, says a lot about you and not a lot of it positive.  

Back on subject….

Disappointed we couldn’t add anyone, glad Dorrans is gone (for all parties sake tbh, just didn’t work out).  Still think we are 4 bodies light.

• Upvote 7

2 hours ago, Rossmcno1 said:

I mean this is taking it right off topic but just for starters, since when is paying £1.65 a litre for petrol “fuel coming right down”?

All I say is this attitude from some folk of “I had ice in my windows didn’t do me harm growing up” is just incredibly selfish.  What a way to view life, that we should all suffer as you did at some point.  

Millions are already at breadline point, energy and food price rises without income rising to match will drive this country into new charters when it comes to poverty.  If you can’t see or accept that, says a lot about you and not a lot of it positive.  

Back on subject….

Disappointed we couldn’t add anyone, glad Dorrans is gone (for all parties sake tbh, just didn’t work out).  Still think we are 4 bodies light.

I'm happy to listen to your point, but for starters fuel has come down from £2.00 a litre to £1.65 as you say, that is almost a 20% reduction, when it went up 20% it was a fuel crisis all over the news. Bad news story scare scare scare!

Energy costs are capped at £3600 per annum (£300 per month), which means the average home won't pay any more than that, it's not what everyone will pay a single person in a one bedroom flat will pay a lot less. But it is rarely reported like that. Bad news scare scare scare.

Lifestyle choices in many cases are the reasons people don't have spare cash, it starts at the top the bank says 2 years ago you can afford a mortgage for £240k you immediately start looking at houses at £240k and end up buying one at that price. Then you need it to look like a show house, then you are too busy to cook so you end up eating takeaways, while you and your 3 other family members sit down on their £40 a month smart phones, flicking between netflix and Sky Sports on their 70" television while browsing the take away menu, wondering what Costa coffee they are having on their way to work in the morning.

Quickly change mortgage to rent and you have the choice as to what you want to pay, where you want to stay and how big a property you choose to rent.

A generation has missed out on cooking meals, good hearty meals made from basic ingredients, affordable sustainable and great fun to cook with your kids or for yourself. You can still buy 25kg of potatoes for £8.50, pork is less than £4 a kilo at the moment, diluting juice for 40p free water out the tap.

People need to reflect on how they deal with the worldwide situation in their own way and it is more than possible, continual free handouts is wrong as it is only going to result in higher taxes and keep the country in economic decline.

The point about the windows was to show that the older generation has seen all this before and we got on with it the best we could, the younger generation haven't.

The constant negativity on MSM is not good for peoples mental health, and should be avoided and people look at their lives and work out the best life for them and live it and it doesn't have to revolve around money.

I have a far bigger insight to peoples lives than most on here as I spend much of my time in and out of peoples homes all over Scotland, from refugees, housing associations, students etc up to the the best houses in Scotland. 

The biggest threat coming is the energy supplies to business, that is where the focus needs to be, because if they close then people lose their jobs then all the first paragraph is compromised in the stack of cards.

• Downvote 3

23 minutes ago, Rengade Master said:

I'm happy to listen to your point, but for starters fuel has come down from £2.00 a litre to £1.65 as you say, that is almost a 20% reduction, when it went up 20% it was a fuel crisis all over the news. Bad news story scare scare scare!

Energy costs are capped at £3600 per annum (£300 per month), which means the average home won't pay any more than that, it's not what everyone will pay a single person in a one bedroom flat will pay a lot less. But it is rarely reported like that. Bad news scare scare scare.

Lifestyle choices in many cases are the reasons people don't have spare cash, it starts at the top the bank says 2 years ago you can afford a mortgage for £240k you immediately start looking at houses at £240k and end up buying one at that price. Then you need it to look like a show house, then you are too busy to cook so you end up eating takeaways, while you and your 3 other family members sit down on their £40 a month smart phones, flicking between netflix and Sky Sports on their 70" television while browsing the take away menu, wondering what Costa coffee they are having on their way to work in the morning.

Quickly change mortgage to rent and you have the choice as to what you want to pay, where you want to stay and how big a property you choose to rent.

A generation has missed out on cooking meals, good hearty meals made from basic ingredients, affordable sustainable and great fun to cook with your kids or for yourself. You can still buy 25kg of potatoes for £8.50, pork is less than £4 a kilo at the moment, diluting juice for 40p free water out the tap.

People need to reflect on how they deal with the worldwide situation in their own way and it is more than possible, continual free handouts is wrong as it is only going to result in higher taxes and keep the country in economic decline.

The point about the windows was to show that the older generation has seen all this before and we got on with it the best we could, the younger generation haven't.

The constant negativity on MSM is not good for peoples mental health, and should be avoided and people look at their lives and work out the best life for them and live it and it doesn't have to revolve around money.

I have a far bigger insight to peoples lives than most on here as I spend much of my time in and out of peoples homes all over Scotland, from refugees, housing associations, students etc up to the the best houses in Scotland. 

The biggest threat coming is the energy supplies to business, that is where the focus needs to be, because if they close then people lose their jobs then all the first paragraph is compromised in the stack of cards.

Due to my work I constantly see the effects of the economy on the most vulnerable in society.  We are clearly not going to agree as I fundamentally see your argument as flawed.  For example - petrol was not at £1.65 a litre before this all started.  Dare I say it’s a very typical tactic of “market force pricing” - push the price well up then when it settles folk think oh that’s not as bad, but it’s still a 20% increase on where it was originally.  Some families don’t have the luxury of choice that you refer to.  This winter a record number of people will die due to pricing of food and energy.  No amount of advice and budgeting is going to stop that.

• Upvote 4

Ross petrol is going down, it should continue as OPEC increased production but that is a global market.

All depends where you set your start point, in 2020 during the first lockdown it was £1 a litre.

People do have choice, people have always had choice.

How do you know record amounts of people will die this winter? Crystal ball or because the MSM want you to think this?

No-one is predicting what type of winter we will have, surely that is the first discerning matter before you can predict a record number of people will die?

Remember the same MSM predicted thousands were going to die a few weeks ago due to the heatwave.........

• Downvote 2

23 minutes ago, Oxpar said:

If somebody can afford to invest 50k in DAFC I doubt they are at the cutting edge of understanding how many disabled/vulnerable people are struggling to cope. 

Wow! I've already explained I'm still out at work everyday and spend many hours in the homes of the most vulnerable and less well off, and I see first hand sometimes next door neighbours how one person copes while the other is in a complete mess. Same flat same income different lifestyle choices.

Then I can go into the poorest housing schemes in Glasgow, and see the occupants wanting for nothing having never worked in their lives, electric meter by-passed, new car on the drive.

Yes I see it all still so very well placed to comment.

• Downvote 1

19 minutes ago, Rengade Master said:

Wow! I've already explained I'm still out at work everyday and spend many hours in the homes of the most vulnerable and less well off, and I see first hand sometimes next door neighbours how one person copes while the other is in a complete mess. Same flat same income different lifestyle choices.

Then I can go into the poorest housing schemes in Glasgow, and see the occupants wanting for nothing having never worked in their lives, electric meter by-passed, new car on the drive.

Yes I see it all still so very well placed to comment.

I think it’s also fair to counter that just because you are in someone’s house it doesn’t mean you know the first thing about their circumstances.

• Upvote 4

After doing this job for 25 years, working on various council contracts and housing associations and you are sometimes in and these houses 4 or 5 times you can build up a lot of information from speaking to the occupants.

also if you are doing a block of 16 flats and they are all in the same situation you see 16 different living conditions.

I’m more than able to speak from experience. 

• Downvote 1