Supporters Meeting 5th Dec

Superally

44 minutes ago, Grant said:

I thought that was really good, quite a few really good questions which were in turn answered very well by David Cook and McPake. A brief summary on some of the questions that were asked.

Finances - The very first question asked about rumours circulating with regards to our finances, from what I remember he used the term "I heard we were struggling". Cook then answered this by saying that if we are struggling then it was news to him, re affirmed that the intention of the club was to be self sustainable. The original questioner then followed up by asking if we had broke even last season to which Cook answered "In league one? Absolutely not, we lost a fortune" gulp. A figure was then asked which has been kicking about in rumours but Cook replied with that the accounts getting written up right now he wasn't willing to answer on specifics.

50/50/ Programmes - A question with regards to 50/50 tickets and programmes, didn't quite catch it but from the answer it seems we're struggling to find 50/50 and programme sellers, with the amount sold not being great.

Edwards Contract - We have an option of another year on his contract, McPake seemed pretty happy and confident in saying it'll be getting used. Purely my own opinion here but I'd guess the reason this hasn't been taken up, is that we're trying to get more than just a year?

Squad Building - This was a great question, and truthfully I'm not going to be able to do it justice. The question was about how we'd got our squad together, pointing out that despite having known about Jak we didn't sign him till very late on so it seemed like a panic signing, pointing out that neither MoH or Jak have even played half the minutes available. This was mentioned with regards to MoH who hasn't played much despite KRH being injured. McPake to his credit answered this as frankly as he could, said that MoH had got injured and that might've been down to us putting to much load on him in pre-season? And that we had tried to sign Jak last January but it didn't happen. Said that after how well they played coming on against Arbroath they were both due to start against QP.

Lack of goals - McPake said that it was something that was frustrating him, mentioned that they had data on a website which indicated we had the second highest xG in the league behind Dundee United, didn't rule out that they're always looking for improvements in terms of recruitment, however we also need to work with the players we have to improve them.

Training Ground - Question was asked about the modular buildings, and how they weren't originally the plan and what was happening with the building. Cook answered that the 1st phase which they hope to have completed by March/Springtime was for the Astro turf, and grass pitches to be touched up to be ready. The long term plan was still to utilise the building however they feel it needs to be tackled in phases, and it's better to get the team in the training ground. Rising construction costs were mooted.

Re-arranged QP game - We've asked for it to be the Scottish Cup weekend, QP have agreed so we're just waiting on the SFA/SPFL to rubber stamp it.

Playing System - McPake was asked about us predominantly playing a back three, said that we were going to play with a back 3 against QP, but he's not stubborn and will play whatever system he feels is best for the day. In his opinion if we were to move away from a back 3 we would lose some of the effectiveness that we get from KRH and Edwards.

The Raith game - Asked what had gone wrong, again McPake was very open and frank, said that he didn't believe going to a back four helped. They weren't expecting Raith to play with a back three (they hadn't before, or since), he said that Raith had outworked us also. Primarily though he blamed himself.

ParsTV- Question noted it was volunteers and they were appreciated, however said there were weekly groans on dafc.net about the service, asked if the club were aware? Cook replied they they were in constant dialog with ParsTV and it could be improved, service isn't great.

Injures - KRH needs surgery, it will hopefully be this week but there wasn't a timescale on his return.

Bene is back running and wanted to be on the bench for Saturday, was never going to happen but he's keen.

Breen is pretty similar to Bene, McPake hopes that both are back before Christmas.

Tod is progressing, was an issue with the ligament on the outside of his knee.

Summers was back on the bench for the QP game, so he's avalaible.

Moffat should be Ok for this weekend hopefully, wouldn't have made QP because he was still quite tight.

Fisher still had a moon boot on today however the scans have came back showing there's no sever damage, just some aggressive swelling which is why they still have the moon boot on, they hope he'll be back before Bene and Breen, but this Saturday is too soon. Next Saturday though?...

Wotherspoon - His lack of signing was brought up, we had made him an offer that would've made him one of our highest paid players, he had a couple of weeks to sign but he pursued other options, McPake still speaks to him occasionally and it was asked if there was any chance of him signing in January but McPake seemed to indicate he want's to try MLS/Playing in Canada.

Thrown objects - Cook was asked about the potential policing costs of this, thought he came across really well in saying that while he absolutely loves the North West and the atmosphere they create, he cannot understand why anyone would thrown a coin at an opposition player/linesman. Said that a policed game costs us £6,000 per game, and that everytime something is thrown on the pitch we receive a letter asking us how it happened, and what we're doing about it. Says that it will ultimately lead to the club having to police every game, which will cost a ****e ton.

Board outside the stadium - Cook wasn't aware the fixture board outside the stadium wasn't being updated, says that it'll change.

Scouting of players/signing players from further afield - Cook and McPake jointly answered this one, admitted they need to look into the England market more, said we had two loan offers accepted from the club for players down south but both players chose to go elsewhere. It is difficult for those outside the UK because of the work permit requirements, you can go to the board (Can't remember the name of it) to essentially ask for some dispensation which is how we got Gaspuitas, however in the summer we tried to sign a Ghanaian player and they rejected that request. Not long after a further question was asked about the Kenyan defender we have on trial (Faiz?), McPake doesn't think he's quite up to this level at the moment, if the work permit requirements weren't so difficult it would be worth it to sign him for the potential, but that's not really feasible.

Cardle - Is training with us, been a good experienced player in training, especially with all our injuries.

There's undoubtedly more that I forgot, and if there's any points I've not explained very well just pull me up on it, I thought McPake and Cook done really well tbf, probably moreso McPake who was about as open and as frank as you could hope.

Cheers Grant

Good summary, thanks.

I was in attendance and both JM and DC should be commended for their openness, JM in particular.

I found it more interesting than the ones last year as we aren’t winning every week so a few more challenging questions especially for JM. His answers were all pretty detailed and thoughtful.

20 minutes ago, livipar2 said:

Good summary, thanks.

I was in attendance and both JM and DC should be commended for their openness, JM in particular.

I found it more interesting than the ones last year as we aren’t winning every week so a few more challenging questions especially for JM. His answers were all pretty detailed and thoughtful.

Aye I'd agree with that second part @livipar2, I've been quite sceptical on these meetings recently but I found last night really interesting, some of the questions were really well worded, whereas normally I find myself cringing quite allot.

Big credit to JM for being so open. 

If I was to have one worry, it'd be over the financial question at the start. I've heard the same rumour as the gentlemen that asked the question and I'm just a bit baffled as to where the moneys went. 

26 minutes ago, Grant said:

Aye I'd agree with that second part @livipar2, I've been quite sceptical on these meetings recently but I found last night really interesting, some of the questions were really well worded, whereas normally I find myself cringing quite allot.

Big credit to JM for being so open. 

If I was to have one worry, it'd be over the financial question at the start. I've heard the same rumour as the gentlemen that asked the question and I'm just a bit baffled as to where the moneys went. 

We've got a Chief Exec, Marketing Director(?)/Manager, both on big salaries that we didn't have previously, as well as having to pay for external consultants to sort the drainage issue with Scottish Water, the actual work that has happened up to that point, several players on longer terms deals and I think we have loosened the purse strings slightly on some of the salaries being paid for those. We also lost a lot of income by being in League One as DC said, whilst still having those costs. 

There will be more that's just off the top of my head.

Thanks for taking the notes too btw. Good summary, it's not easy listening and taking all that down.

9 minutes ago, Digs said:

We've got a Chief Exec, Marketing Director(?)/Manager, both on big salaries that we didn't have previously, as well as having to pay for external consultants to sort the drainage issue with Scottish Water, the actual work that has happened up to that point, several players on longer terms deals and I think we have loosened the purse strings slightly on some of the salaries being paid for those. We also lost a lot of income by being in League One as DC said, whilst still having those costs. 

Yeah that's my thinking, the figures for this season should be a lot more realistic to where we are.

Edited by Al k

19 hours ago, Grant said:

I thought that was really good, quite a few really good questions which were in turn answered very well by David Cook and McPake. A brief summary on some of the questions that were asked.

Finances - The very first question asked about rumours circulating with regards to our finances, from what I remember he used the term "I heard we were struggling". Cook then answered this by saying that if we are struggling then it was news to him, re affirmed that the intention of the club was to be self sustainable. The original questioner then followed up by asking if we had broke even last season to which Cook answered "In league one? Absolutely not, we lost a fortune" gulp. A figure was then asked which has been kicking about in rumours but Cook replied with that the accounts getting written up right now he wasn't willing to answer on specifics.

50/50/ Programmes - A question with regards to 50/50 tickets and programmes, didn't quite catch it but from the answer it seems we're struggling to find 50/50 and programme sellers, with the amount sold not being great.

Edwards Contract - We have an option of another year on his contract, McPake seemed pretty happy and confident in saying it'll be getting used. Purely my own opinion here but I'd guess the reason this hasn't been taken up, is that we're trying to get more than just a year?

Squad Building - This was a great question, and truthfully I'm not going to be able to do it justice. The question was about how we'd got our squad together, pointing out that despite having known about Jak we didn't sign him till very late on so it seemed like a panic signing, pointing out that neither MoH or Jak have even played half the minutes available. This was mentioned with regards to MoH who hasn't played much despite KRH being injured. McPake to his credit answered this as frankly as he could, said that MoH had got injured and that might've been down to us putting to much load on him in pre-season? And that we had tried to sign Jak last January but it didn't happen. Said that after how well they played coming on against Arbroath they were both due to start against QP.

Lack of goals - McPake said that it was something that was frustrating him, mentioned that they had data on a website which indicated we had the second highest xG in the league behind Dundee United, didn't rule out that they're always looking for improvements in terms of recruitment, however we also need to work with the players we have to improve them.

Training Ground - Question was asked about the modular buildings, and how they weren't originally the plan and what was happening with the building. Cook answered that the 1st phase which they hope to have completed by March/Springtime was for the Astro turf, and grass pitches to be touched up to be ready. The long term plan was still to utilise the building however they feel it needs to be tackled in phases, and it's better to get the team in the training ground. Rising construction costs were mooted.

Re-arranged QP game - We've asked for it to be the Scottish Cup weekend, QP have agreed so we're just waiting on the SFA/SPFL to rubber stamp it.

Playing System - McPake was asked about us predominantly playing a back three, said that we were going to play with a back 3 against QP, but he's not stubborn and will play whatever system he feels is best for the day. In his opinion if we were to move away from a back 3 we would lose some of the effectiveness that we get from KRH and Edwards.

The Raith game - Asked what had gone wrong, again McPake was very open and frank, said that he didn't believe going to a back four helped. They weren't expecting Raith to play with a back three (they hadn't before, or since), he said that Raith had outworked us also. Primarily though he blamed himself.

ParsTV- Question noted it was volunteers and they were appreciated, however said there were weekly groans on dafc.net about the service, asked if the club were aware? Cook replied they they were in constant dialog with ParsTV and it could be improved, service isn't great.

Injures - KRH needs surgery, it will hopefully be this week but there wasn't a timescale on his return.

Bene is back running and wanted to be on the bench for Saturday, was never going to happen but he's keen.

Breen is pretty similar to Bene, McPake hopes that both are back before Christmas.

Tod is progressing, was an issue with the ligament on the outside of his knee.

Summers was back on the bench for the QP game, so he's avalaible.

Moffat should be Ok for this weekend hopefully, wouldn't have made QP because he was still quite tight.

Fisher still had a moon boot on today however the scans have came back showing there's no sever damage, just some aggressive swelling which is why they still have the moon boot on, they hope he'll be back before Bene and Breen, but this Saturday is too soon. Next Saturday though?...

Wotherspoon - His lack of signing was brought up, we had made him an offer that would've made him one of our highest paid players, he had a couple of weeks to sign but he pursued other options, McPake still speaks to him occasionally and it was asked if there was any chance of him signing in January but McPake seemed to indicate he want's to try MLS/Playing in Canada.

Thrown objects - Cook was asked about the potential policing costs of this, thought he came across really well in saying that while he absolutely loves the North West and the atmosphere they create, he cannot understand why anyone would thrown a coin at an opposition player/linesman. Said that a policed game costs us £6,000 per game, and that everytime something is thrown on the pitch we receive a letter asking us how it happened, and what we're doing about it. Says that it will ultimately lead to the club having to police every game, which will cost a ****e ton.

Board outside the stadium - Cook wasn't aware the fixture board outside the stadium wasn't being updated, says that it'll change.

Scouting of players/signing players from further afield - Cook and McPake jointly answered this one, admitted they need to look into the England market more, said we had two loan offers accepted from the club for players down south but both players chose to go elsewhere. It is difficult for those outside the UK because of the work permit requirements, you can go to the board (Can't remember the name of it) to essentially ask for some dispensation which is how we got Gaspuitas, however in the summer we tried to sign a Ghanaian player and they rejected that request. Not long after a further question was asked about the Kenyan defender we have on trial (Faiz?), McPake doesn't think he's quite up to this level at the moment, if the work permit requirements weren't so difficult it would be worth it to sign him for the potential, but that's not really feasible.

Cardle - Is training with us, been a good experienced player in training, especially with all our injuries.

There's undoubtedly more that I forgot, and if there's any points I've not explained very well just pull me up on it, I thought McPake and Cook done really well tbf, probably moreso McPake who was about as open and as frank as you could hope.

Thanks Grant, good amount of detail there 👌 

On 06/12/2023 at 09:59, Digs said:

Thanks for taking the notes too btw. Good summary, it's not easy listening and taking all that down.

Exactly, Digs. Not too many league one clubs will have had CEOs and marketing directors on their wage bill? 

• Upvote 1

On 06/12/2023 at 09:59, Digs said:

I'm expecting, and hoping that if the rumours of it being seven figures are correct, a fair amount will be due to the training pitch. 

To play a bit of devil's advocate, one of the "costs" of getting relegated is normally the lower crowds as well as the cut in prize money. Except that in our case our tickets sold actually increased last season, (over 85k tickets sold at EEP last season, compared to 61k the season before) and while there is a difference in prize money, if we're budgeting for 8th then the extra 110k is going to be quickly swallowed up by the improved contracts we've handed out. 

I'm not sure how much detail will be in the accounts, but if our squad last year which was very small and supplemented with allot of loan players wasn't financially viable on average crowds of 4 and a half thousand, then what is? 

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Grant said:

I'm expecting, and hoping that if the rumours of it being seven figures are correct, a fair amount will be due to the training pitch. 

To play a bit of devil's advocate, one of the "costs" of getting relegated is normally the lower crowds as well as the cut in prize money. Except that in our case our tickets sold actually increased last season, (over 85k tickets sold at EEP last season, compared to 61k the season before) and while there is a difference in prize money, if we're budgeting for 8th then the extra 110k is going to be quickly swallowed up by the improved contracts we've handed out. 

I'm not sure how much detail will be in the accounts, but if our squad last year which was very small and supplemented with allot of loan players wasn't financially viable on average crowds of 4 and a half thousand, then what is? 

Add in that we also sold naming rights of the stadium 

55 minutes ago, da_no_1 said:

Meanwhile, along the A92, the Raith Rovers the BOD are funding 7 buses to Tannadice a week on Saturday. Now there's a set of accounts that'll make interesting reading.

Aye, there's little secret to that though, just the owners pumping in allot of money. 

Due to being bitter and twisted I hope it goes pear shaped. 

• Upvote 2