Run in for relegation/promotion Play Offs.

1 hour ago, SanguinePar said:

The league games maybe, but our cup game on Friday 24 November certainly was.

I'd also dispute that giving a proportion of the overall deal to teams who don't feature on TV is to their benefit compared to the biggest teams. Yes they get a bit  but they still get much less than those at the top, so the gap grows ever larger. Not to mention situations like ours where we lose out on potential gate money from a big match.

Which is totally seperate from the BBC Scotland league deal, we would have got additional money for the Scottish Cup game being on TV. 

How can you dispute that teams who don't feature on TV, getting TV money is to there benefit? 

It's absolutely obvious they get less than those at the top, if you got more money the lower down the league system you went then teams would be getting relegated every year? I struggle to see your point.

If we were to split the TV for those teams purely on TV then the sky deal for the Premier, which is more than the BBC Scotland deal for the Championship would see that gap growing ever larger. The gap between the championship and League 1 would also become more pronounced. By pooling the TV money and distributing it throughout the system it absolutely benefits those teams lower down the pyramid more. 

We lose out on two league games a year, and even then if we were doing well enough they wouldn't matter. Raith had there top of the table clash with United on TV, they still sold it out. 

It's genuinely one of the better TV deals out there, we have limits on how often they impact us, and a Friday night is better than a Sunday lunchtime etc. 

The chairmen of all the clubs need to get together and ask for a better deal, or **** them off. They should be covering more than the loss at the gate by putting games on a Friday. The BBC is a horrible institution, with their bias narrative. Oh Aye! I've just remembered about Jimmy Saville. What a cesspit of an organisation .

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

27 minutes ago, scottyboy said:

The chairmen of all the clubs need to get together and ask for a better deal, or **** them off. 

Its interesting that nobody in high positions at championship clubs are publicly denouncing the deal. When it was first signed there was suggestions championship clubs pushed for a higher percentage but backed off when premiership clubs said they'd push back if they signed a better prem deal which they did end up doing.

We've not long agreed an extension taking the deal to 2029 with significantly improved terms.  Unfortunately I don't know what significant means and it would suit both the SPFL and BBC to make it sound bigger than it was.  

Overall the sfl/spl agreement has been massively beneficial to clubs at our level, if having top tier clubs wanting deals signed at a lower level than we'd ideally agree too then its a price worth paying. 

Edited by parsforlife

3 minutes ago, scottyboy said:

Maybe a question for the next supporters meeting. Do we make a profit of the BBC Scotland games? If not then, can we get out of it?

Feel free to ask that but I can hear the eyes rolling already. 

Turn on the TV now and there's probably football on somewhere, turn it on through the weekend and there definitely will be. If there was a way for clubs to get out of being shown on TV, do you not reckon some of them would've done so already? 

I'd argue, where Scotland has really fell behind other countries is how small our TV deals are, we shouldn't be pushing for less coverage when we could probably do with more. 

Edited by Grant

5 hours ago, scottyboy said:

Maybe a question for the next supporters meeting. Do we make a profit of the BBC Scotland games? If not then, can we get out of it?

You can email SLO Drew Main and ask the question. 

andrew@dafc.co.uk 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Grant said:

Feel free to ask that but I can hear the eyes rolling already. 

Turn on the TV now and there's probably football on somewhere, turn it on through the weekend and there definitely will be. If there was a way for clubs to get out of being shown on TV, do you not reckon some of them would've done so already? 

I'd argue, where Scotland has really fell behind other countries is how small our TV deals are, we shouldn't be pushing for less coverage when we could probably do with more. 

I fear blanket TV coverage of football is slowly killing the game at lower levels. In Scotland we play over the winter months and quite often, our games are in direct opposition to televised games showing CL or Premier League matches. Only the hardiest and most loyal fans will leave their homes and sit in freezing conditions, usually to watch a game which is short in quality and entertainment. I've often found myself questioning my own sanity in these situations. Eventually, as I get even older, I'll inevitably reach a tipping point. As an example, I still went to the two home games which were shown live on BBC Scotland, but it didn't cross my mind to travel to any of our televised away games this season.

Edited by GG Riva
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, scottyboy said:

The chairmen of all the clubs need to get together and ask for a better deal, or **** them off. They should be covering more than the loss at the gate by putting games on a Friday. The BBC is a horrible institution, with their bias narrative. Oh Aye! I've just remembered about Jimmy Saville. What a cesspit of an organisation .

Jimmy Saville has nothing to do with this discussion. If you want to start an anti-BBC thread, head to Off Topic.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Grant said:

How can you dispute that teams who don't feature on TV, getting TV money is to there benefit? 

It's to their benefit versus getting nothing. It's to their net deficit when compared to other clubs getting significantly more money than them.

My argument is that having a many live games, and in this case Friday night games, is to the overall detriment of the league and it serves, overall to entrench and expand the gaps between clubs, leading to a more or less paralysed system where clubs are pretty much trapped at their level.

You only have to look at the dominance of Celtic and both Rangers since live TV matches became so much more common to see the effect it has. Realistically no-one who isn't one of them is likely to win the league in the next 20 years at least. And even if the clubs beneath them get the crumbs off the table, it's hardly to their benefit in terms of ever having a chance to close the gap.

1 hour ago, SanguinePar said:

You only have to look at the dominance of Celtic and both Rangers since live TV matches became so much more common to see the effect it has. Realistically no-one who isn't one of them is likely to win the league in the next 20 years at least. And even if the clubs beneath them get the crumbs off the table, it's hardly to their benefit in terms of ever having a chance to close the gap.

Yes, however unless your going to completely tear down UEFA, get rid of european football, stop or massively reduce corporate sponsorship and reintroduce gate shares then that dominance is going to be there,  even if the completely gave up their entire spfl prize money.

Premier League clubs are completely to blame.  The current version of Rangers were absent from the top flight for 4 years - so the 11 others had the chance to mobilise, come to a consensus and force through anything they wanted to help redress the balance and make the top-tier more competitive.

They did nothing and now cannot do anything as they require an 11-1 majority.

Complete madness pandering to the Celtic and Sevco when they would leave for pastures new if they could - even if they were taking every penny of TV and prize money.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, DA-go Par Adonis said:

Premier League clubs are completely to blame.  The current version of Rangers were absent from the top flight for 4 years - so the 11 others had the chance to mobilise, come to a consensus and force through anything they wanted to help redress the balance and make the top-tier more competitive.

They did nothing and now cannot do anything as they require an 11-1 majority.

Complete madness pandering to the Celtic and Sevco when they would leave for pastures new if they could - even if they were taking every penny of TV and prize money.

Was it not Aberdeen who towed the OF line and voted against proposed changed with Celtic, thinking they'd be the number 2 team in Scotland?