Dorrans

Mr Mac

46 minutes ago, Al k said:

Hoping he can be a star for us this season. People forget he never had a pre-season and was the easiest target for the fan's.

Did he get covid? 

Breen was similar too, another I have big hopes for this season. 

Or he was asked to come in and refused, and wanted a 4 week holiday before he joined 

7 hours ago, Piracy said:

Let's be fair here, Dorrans has pedigree and of he gets a full pre-season, stays lucky with injuries and buys into the new managers tactics then he should stroll this league. 

Dorrans is 35 and it's easy to fall into the trap of thinking he's done - I couldn't believe it when Jimmy Calderwood signed up a 35 year old for the Pars. Craig Brewster. He was class. A motivated, fully fit Dorrans can be a similar revelation in League 1. 

Edited by GG Riva
  • Upvote 1

I tried to make my original post neutral in the hope of getting some discussion going so only fair I give my thoughts now... 

I think that a good pre season could be a turning point for Dorrans, he definitely has pedigree and should be able to pull the strings in midfield. Hopefully a few good performances can put a lid on last season for him and others. 

• Upvote 3

Remember Lubo Maravcik was 33 when he joined Celtic in 1998 and left in 2002. Not that  Dorrans is obviously in  that class but that signing was treated by derision by the Celtic fans, part of that being his age. 

Age is a factor being 30+ but it's less so than 20 or 30 year ago. Dorrans can prove a lot wrong. I hope he does.

52 minutes ago, Piracy said:

Remember Lubo Maravcik was 33 when he joined Celtic in 1998 and left in 2002. Not that  Dorrans is obviously in  that class but that signing was treated by derision by the Celtic fans, part of that being his age. 

Age is a factor being 30+ but it's less so than 20 or 30 year ago. Dorrans can prove a lot wrong. I hope he does.

Same thing happened with Brewster, he was 38 when we signed him....

As far as I'm concerned, he was no where near as bad last season as some would have you believe. In some of the games folk were moaning, I wondered which way their seats were facing because it clearly wasn't towards the pitch. 

Regardless of all of that, every player get a clean slate from me. Last season is done, it's in the past, we move forward. If we can't do that, then how do we expect the players to? We need them going into every single game thinking of nothing else other than winning and three points. That has to be the mindset this year. Our biggest issue last year was the lingering doubt and lack of confidence from a very poor start. We showed in flashes that we could be the good side we looked on paper, Yogi was right about that, but we were inconsistent due to the lack of confidence and self belief being so fragile. This year, the single biggest task McPake faces is overcoming that and experienced players like Dorrans can help him do that.

• Upvote 2

Dorrans looked pretty innefective for Dundee a couple of years back, he looked pretty innefective for the most part last season and I'm not a fan of us having to play 3 in the middle to compensate for him. 

Hughes came in and said Dorrans was our best player, I have no doubt he'd look absolutely class in small sided training games, but we've seen precious little of that for us. 

2 minutes ago, The Roy Barry Fan Club said:

Without I hope betraying any confidences, I would merely say that I think it would be a reasonable assumption that Dorrans will be much more in tune with McPake than either of the two previous managers.

I think that too.