Players required

Piracy

2 hours ago, Piracy said:

We're all the same believe it or not regarding wanting the best for the team. 

Exactly

And some of us totally understand the club not wanting to dive in and sign ****e like last year.  Also appreciating that in League 1 now, we are NOT an attractive proposition for full time players.   Of course want more to sign but I also don’t want bodies to fill a bench.

• Upvote 3

53 minutes ago, Rossmcno1 said:

I also don’t want bodies to fill a bench.

I dunno,  feel this is kinda what we need,  I think unless it’s a silky winger we’re not far off having a very strong starting 11 for this division It’s lack of options to change things off the bench that’s is exactly the problem IMO.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Rossmcno1 said:

Exactly

And some of us totally understand the club not wanting to dive in and sign ****e like last year.  Also appreciating that in League 1 now, we are NOT an attractive proposition for full time players.   Of course want more to sign but I also don’t want bodies to fill a bench.

Agreed. 

David Cook said the club had recruited badly over the last few year, they're definitely looking to avoid that. Which is responsible and I agree with it. McPake said as part of his remit, he is actively seeking players with the right personality, as well as skillset to avoid mavericks and disruption they bring into the dressing room. He's well aware of how corrosive bad fits can be. The club are obviously learning from experience, taking steps to avoid poor signings, upping the professionalism, and growing a team spirit. They're acting responsibly on all our behalf by not just jumping in and sticking to implementing a planned strategy rather than just dealing in reactive decisions.  I'm frustrated we've not signed anyone, they're also frustrated they've not signed us players, but I believe it's nothing to do with lack of funds being made available, more the right players not being available. 

• Upvote 6

9 hours ago, parsforlife said:

I dunno,  feel this is kinda what we need,  I think unless it’s a silky winger we’re not far off having a very strong starting 11 for this division It’s lack of options to change things off the bench that’s is exactly the problem IMO.

Aye but my point is, bodies for the sake of having a player in a shirt.  No good if they aren’t the quality we need.  Club could easily just pick up 6 random names and the fleeting joy of “oh we’ve signed a bunch of players” quickly become “who signed these donkeys”, “waste of money” and probably “why didn’t we just wait a bit longer for better quality”.

totally get the nervousness, I want players too, but I’m not wanting drivel being taken on for the sake of it.  

• Upvote 5

Unfortunately a lot of the end of contract/free agents were around while we were in a state of flux with Hughes.

Generally as the window has progressed released players are almost being released to sign for a club waiting for them.

Any free agent still without a club today has a reason as to why he is still a free agent.

We have to hope that JM is actively talking to agents and clubs about players being released to him. With a deal ready and waiting.

18 minutes ago, Rengade Master said:

Any free agent still without a club today has a reason as to why he is still a free agent.

We have to hope that JM is actively talking to agents and clubs about players being released to him. With a deal ready and waiting.

You're right that there will be a reason but that doesn't necessarily mean it's a negative one or one within their control as a player. Players surplus to requirements rarely hold many cards in those scenarios other than choosing the club they want to move to.

If JM wasn't doing those things, then he should be sacked quite frankly as it is one of the most important parts of a managers job. I'm confident that he definitely is. We also already know of at least one player where a deal was on the table that we didn't know about until he told us, so I'm sure there are other irons in the fire. Whether they come off or not, as we have seen, isn't necessarily down to him, or us as a club.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Digs said:

You're right that there will be a reason but that doesn't necessarily mean it's a negative one or one within their control as a player. Players surplus to requirements rarely hold many cards in those scenarios other than choosing the club they want to move to.

If JM wasn't doing those things, then he should be sacked quite frankly as it is one of the most important parts of a managers job. I'm confident that he definitely is. We also already know of at least one player where a deal was on the table that we didn't know about until he told us, so I'm sure there are other irons in the fire. Whether they come off or not, as we have seen, isn't necessarily down to him, or us as a club.

Exactly but leaving it to the last day is hardly a fantastic way of doing business.

I know you will come back and say yes but free agents can be signed at any time once released by a club but I'm sure there are certain stipulations on registration of these players. Not sure of the ins and outs though.

3 minutes ago, Rengade Master said:

Exactly but leaving it to the last day is hardly a fantastic way of doing business.

I know you will come back and say yes but free agents can be signed at any time once released by a club but I'm sure there are certain stipulations on registration of these players. Not sure of the ins and outs though.

I wasn't going to say that. I was going to say he's not leaving anything until the last day. It's been said many times how we are not in the driving seat here and we have to suck that up. We are not an attractive proposition for the players we want to sign. We are very much back of the queue.

We absolutely could have compromised on what we are after, but as has been said, shirt or bench fillers are pointless. It's spending money on players you don't trust who can't change a game and are merely there to act as cover. That doesn't make us better. Just because other teams have been willing to do so, doesn;t mean we should. 

We need players, no question, but I'd rather get some younger guys in on loan, as a last resort, than have a full bench now of players that can't cut the mustard.

33 minutes ago, Digs said:

I wasn't going to say that. I was going to say he's not leaving anything until the last day. It's been said many times how we are not in the driving seat here and we have to suck that up. We are not an attractive proposition for the players we want to sign. We are very much back of the queue.

We absolutely could have compromised on what we are after, but as has been said, shirt or bench fillers are pointless. It's spending money on players you don't trust who can't change a game and are merely there to act as cover. That doesn't make us better. Just because other teams have been willing to do so, doesn;t mean we should. 

We need players, no question, but I'd rather get some younger guys in on loan, as a last resort, than have a full bench now of players that can't cut the mustard.

Agree entirely, which is why it is frustrating to see other teams in this league getting their business done early, while we were sitting on our hands sorting out last years incompetence. 

We are allegedly the big club in the small pond, with the best facilities, best fans, best wages, big investors better than very many Championship clubs, a team playing for promotion back to the Championship, I'd say good and upcoming manager.

Boom nobody is interested!

1 hour ago, Rengade Master said:

Agree entirely, which is why it is frustrating to see other teams in this league getting their business done early, while we were sitting on our hands sorting out last years incompetence. 

We are allegedly the big club in the small pond, with the best facilities, best fans, best wages, big investors better than very many Championship clubs, a team playing for promotion back to the Championship, I'd say good and upcoming manager.

Boom nobody is interested!

He's already said that's not the case though, he's being very particular about the type of character he wants in the squad rather than just someone who can play a certain position. Hughes used to go on about doing his due diligence all the time, clearly his wasn't that good. We can't make the same mistakes again.

Aye, it's not ideal, but no-one is sitting on their hands, that's just completely untrue. Getting business done early absolutely does not automatically translate to doing it well.