KRH

Superally

On 05/07/2023 at 14:20, Superally said:

Hearing reports he will miss the start of the season with an ankle injury and is out for 8-12 weeks after Matty Tod crunched him in training. Bad news for him as it requires surgery as it will likely limit some of our options for the first round of matches.

Aye, Kane could have done without that and so could we. 🙁

Not having been a footballer of any note myself, I've often wondered why players are sometimes injured by team mates in training. Obviously, it was an accident, but are players expected to go full pelt in training? Would they not be more likely to treat it like a testimonial game, where there's an unwritten agreement that strong tackling is out?

Having said that, it may be that S'Ally's post is not entirely accurate and Matty's "crunching tackle" was more a coming together with unfortunate consequences. 

53 minutes ago, GG Riva said:

Not having been a footballer of any note myself, I've often wondered why players are sometimes injured by team mates in training. Obviously, it was an accident, but are players expected to go full pelt in training? Would they not be more likely to treat it like a testimonial game, where there's an unwritten agreement that strong tackling is out?

Having said that, it may be that S'Ally's post is not entirely accurate and Matty's "crunching tackle" was more a coming together with unfortunate consequences. 

Dave Mackay said it was a bump with Todd on cows

Edited by rosythpar

2 hours ago, GG Riva said:

It's a contact sport, even if you're holding back, knocks will happen from time to time, even in training. He could've slipped, he could have ran into him causing him to go over on the ankle, who knows? It's just one of those things. 

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, GG Riva said:

There’s certainly things that are held back, but you absolutely cannot be taking too much off the intensity during the week and expect to just turn it on for a match.  It’s a balancing act and in that balance there’s an acceptance that sometimes unfortunate injuries will occur. 

4 hours ago, Rossmcno1 said:

Got to give it full pelt at training.  Train as you play as the old saying goes, or players just don’t hit condition needed on match day.  Unfortunately that means potential for injury always present.  

Of course you have to train like you play… how many serious injuries are on a match day🤷🏻‍♂️ It’s just one of those injuries in training. We really need a striker as Mcann is way of the pace tbh… 

18 minutes ago, Secure Par said:

We really need a striker as Mcann is way of the pace tbh… 

McCann is not a centre forward though. He's a poor finisher in the box and doesn't look natural there. 

What I would say is that he's a big talent in the support attacking areas and is more likely to score from 20 yard than 6 yards. He fast, strong and a bit of a nightmare for defenders. If played correctly he could really kick on. 

Edited by Tartan Army Par

15 hours ago, Rossmcno1 said:

Got to give it full pelt at training.  Train as you play as the old saying goes, or players just don’t hit condition needed on match day.  Unfortunately that means potential for injury always present.  

Thanks for this and all the other replies to my query.

Funny thing is, when I played in the Dunfermline & District Sunday League, a pal of mine came along for a midweek training session, at a gym in the Carnegie Leisure Centre. Our session was just a game of football, around 8 or 9 a side, no head height rule and no holds barred. My pal was a good, no nonsense defender. He played for the wee team and the Blue Brazil. He told me he wouldn't be back as we were all too rough.

"Look at you" he added, pointing to my side when I came out of the shower. It had several horizontal stripes where I had been bumped into the gym's wall bars.... 😃