The Pars v Queens Park

Superally

1 hour ago, livipar2 said:

Surely Otoo is a natural centre back?

I would suggest he's more of a midfielder. He's so good at driving forward with the ball. Defensively, he's more likely to cost us a goal due to his inexperience. He'd be fine playing alongside Bene, but Hamilton and Comrie are not experienced central defenders - they're doing an admirable job but are just filling in until the likes of Bene and Breen are fully fit.

52 minutes ago, kelty_par said:

Otoo is a Centre half. He was signed as a CB and only covers in midfield when needed is the way I see it

That's the way it is. He's a CB. 

The undersoil heating isn't on yet though, but will be. My mrs spoke to Kev the groundsman today.

I prefer Otoo in midfield, I think all his best performances have come there.

I am frustrated about the lack of CB cover we have, it was very poor planning to just hope a guy in his 30s and someone with repeated injury problems, mostly muscular,  that both going to be available for 30 games a season.

That said,  I don’t actually think our biggest problem is having Hamilton and Otoo at CB, they are capable, the bigger issue is that they then aren’t playing higher up the pitch

13 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

I prefer Otoo in midfield, I think all his best performances have come there.

I am frustrated about the lack of CB cover we have, it was very poor planning to just hope a guy in his 30s and someone with repeated injury problems, mostly muscular,  that both going to be available for 30 games a season.

That said,  I don’t actually think our biggest problem is having Hamilton and Otoo at CB, they are capable, the bigger issue is that they then aren’t playing higher up the pitch

We've got Benedictus, Fisher, Breen, Otoo, Hamilton and Comrie (as a RCB) all experienced at playing in a back 3. 

I don't know how much more cover you'd expect a Championship side to have - or how it's poor planning.

We've basically got our first choice back 3 injured and can still put out a competent looking defence. If anything it's well planned given the pretty horrendous luck we've had.

Also, Benedictus played every game bar one last season - and that was due to a suspension. He's also only 31 years old. It's hardly akin to signing Lewis Vaughan and pinning your attacking hopes on him being an ever-present.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kelty_par said:

Otoo is a Centre half. He was signed as a CB and only covers in midfield when needed is the way I see it

I'm not arguing that, KP, but I think his qualities make him more useful to the team in midfield when everyone is fit. The lad has bags of talent and confidence but he's not the finished article yet. I'm sure that in time, he will become an equally good defender.

There's no hard and fast rule that a player signed in a certain role can't develop in another of course. In the 60s, Jock Stein converted Willie Callaghan and John Lunn from wingers into full backs and brilliant they were, too. George Farm moved Alex Edwards from the right wing into a creative midfield role in which he excelled for the Pars and then Hibs. Roy Barry played his first few games for the Pars in midfield before moving back to become our best ever centre half. captain Courageous, Norrie McCathie, did likewise.....

I agree GG.

Otoo may have been signed as a centre back, but for me he has a brain fart per game ratio higher than average, and he’s not strong enough in the air (yet) to have CB as his strongest position in this team.  I really enjoy watching him in midfield as he seems to bring physicality and has an eye for a good driving run or pass.   That’s not to say eventually he will be stronger and more natural at CB, right now for me though his performances in midfield have been some of his best in a Pars jersey.

8 minutes ago, Rossmcno1 said:

I agree GG.

Otoo may have been signed as a centre back, but for me he has a brain fart per game ratio higher than average, and he’s not strong enough in the air (yet) to have CB as his strongest position in this team.  I really enjoy watching him in midfield as he seems to bring physicality and has an eye for a good driving run or pass.   That’s not to say eventually he will be stronger and more natural at CB, right now for me though his performances in midfield have been some of his best in a Pars jersey.

I actually quite like his Youssef Rossi moments where he strides into midfield from the back with the ball and the opposition have no idea how to handle it. He's pretty decent on the ball and I think is capable in either position. I don't think it's that he's prone to 'brain farts' it's more a lack of experience. He's still a young laddie and this is his first team he's played for in the Senior game (I know Lowland is technically senior but it's not the Championship) and he's not completed a year yet.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Digs said:

That's the way it is. He's a CB. 

The undersoil heating isn't on yet though, but will be. My mrs spoke to Kev the groundsman today.

How long does it take to get going and have an effect on the pitch I wonder? I suppose that will also depend on how frozen it is. 

Otoos natural position Imo is on the left of a back three, that's where his ball progression really comes to the fore. 

Playing in a back two is different though, and I'd suggest he's actually more suited to playing in midfield than in a back two. 

44 minutes ago, Grant said:

How long does it take to get going and have an effect on the pitch I wonder? I suppose that will also depend on how frozen it is. 

Otoos natural position Imo is on the left of a back three, that's where his ball progression really comes to the fore. 

Playing in a back two is different though, and I'd suggest he's actually more suited to playing in midfield than in a back two. 

I don't know tbh, but I can't imagine the ground will be frozen too deep, it's only been properly frosty since yesterday.