Transfer window

Al k

Few points about us just now.

The academy is obviously planning for the future. There has been significant investment in that already and although it's had issues they'll push on with it. I think we'd all agree it's an admirable vision. 

The club will likely announce a fairly significant operating loss for financial year 2022/2023. I also think there will be the same for 2023/2024, although lower than the previous year. So I don't see us reacting to this current crisis with the board throwing significant amounts about this transfer window. There's a balance to be struck though, we definitely need players so we need to do something. Any decision made is going to have to be spot on.

Here's a controversial opinion though: I'm less worried about signing players than I am about incidents like the bad publicity after the Rovers game. I think it drains the boards appetite for their project Pars initiative. I worry they get up and f**k off leaving us with debt we cant service. I think the board need to actually be putting out a communication piece just now giving an overview on where they see us being at this moment in time. The silence isn't great tbh. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Piracy said:

The academy is obviously planning for the future. There has been significant investment in that already and although it's had issues they'll push on with it. I think we'd all agree it's an admirable vision. 

The club will likely announce a fairly significant operating loss for financial year 2022/2023. I also think there will be the same for 2023/2024, although lower than the previous year. So I don't see us reacting to this current crisis with the board throwing significant amounts about this transfer window. There's a balance to be struck though, we definitely need players so we need to do something. Any decision made is going to have to be spot on.

Here's a controversial opinion though: I'm less worried about signing players than I am about incidents like the bad publicity after the Rovers game. I think it drains the boards appetite for their project Pars initiative. I worry they get up and f**k off leaving us with debt we cant service. I think the board need to actually be putting out a communication piece just now giving an overview on where they see us being at this moment in time. The silence isn't great tbh. 

Losses like last year and indeed if this year must entirely be to off-field spending, we made profits in league 1 when we won it in 2016 and every single year in the championship apart from when we let Johnston sign a massive squad on inflated wages before needing to sack him months later.

On the 2nd part, If there’s any chance at any point the group decide to leave for any reason that the club can’t quickly return to its normal operating structure without their investment then they need ****ing hung as does anyone else on the board overseeing the spending.

3 hours ago, Piracy said:

The whole “what if they get ****ed off and leave” thing was floated around the Grant/Hughes era, and it’s not helpful at all.  If they are that flakey that they would walk out over something like that then football frankly isn’t for them.  In no way is that condoning what happened, however unfortunately similar things happen all the time with football clubs these days as every club has their element of fuddery.  I don’t want them to have that sword hanging over us all the time as it leads to the wrong kind of messaging, almost that we’d be frightened to challenge them in case they walked away.  Similar comments were made about investors apparently at a game under Grant, where a fan had made their unhappiness known, and there were comments about how much that had put off potential investment.   It just feels a bit like it gives me the ick.  Said it before and happy to stand by it, so far it could be argued we’ve not moved forward since they came on board.  I see lots of encouraging signs and indeed a big ploughed field with diggers on it round the corner from my house, but also see and hear of lots of operating losses and a thin squad right now where we’ve yet to fill our bench this season.

Im all for positivity, indeed in my own coaching and management work in the past (in and out of football) always strive to have a positive environment with great success - however people aren’t stupid, and reality/honesty are far more valued than blinkered optimism.  

Edited by Rossmcno1
  • Upvote 4

4 hours ago, Piracy said:

This dick has ability, no doubt, but I wouldn't want him here and he wouldn't come here. His attitude toward Dunfermline is stinking. 

Aye, pretty worried at how much he'll enjoy getting it right up us later in the season tbh. 

Great post by @Rossmcno1 that sums up my feelings. I'd like to think that the Germans weren't so flakey that the recent incident would sway them much, the reaction from the wider Dunfermline fanbase, sponsors and players has been fantastic. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eastendtales said:

I think the general consensus out there is that the club and the general fanbase have distanced themselves from a small crowd of clowns. 

I agree that is the case.

However regardless of anyone's interpretation of the situation the reputational damage and view of our club by association is tarnished, and is damaging. Speaking to and listening Ross McArthur on why the German contingent came here and invested in our club, the biggest influence was our ethos and position as a community club. Speaking to and listening to the German board members that was the case, and it remains the case. I don't think that can be understated. Someone mentioned an incident in the main stand where a Pars fan made a tool of himself ranting at Stevie Crawford. Ross McArthur spoke to the chap personally, both at the match and after it. The German contingent had potential investors in their company, they were raging. The reason I'm relaying this subject matter is that any form of fan wuckfittery isn't something the board has a high tolerance over. Factor in the battling at Falkirk v Dunfermline games last season, also the battling at 3 Dunfermline Rovers games, continual issues over pyros at East End, Pars fans kicking the sh*t out of a disabled laddie doesn't make good reading at all. To date I don't think the club has actually done anything effective to combat or attempt to resolve the behavioural issues within our fan group. It's not just any old stuff thats part of the Scottish game, it's continually damaging and therefore concerning. Regardless of what anyones opinion is (mine included) there's no question it'll be high on the agenda as subject matter within the club. These guys have said they're in it for the long haul, I believe that's probably the case, but I do wonder how much of a stomach they have for managing difficult situations. At least Ross McArthur never shirked away from meeting these issues head on.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Piracy said:

I agree that is the case.

However regardless of anyone's interpretation of the situation the reputational damage and view of our club by association is tarnished, and is damaging. Speaking to and listening Ross McArthur on why the German contingent came here and invested in our club, the biggest influence was our ethos and position as a community club. Speaking to and listening to the German board members that was the case, and it remains the case. I don't think that can be understated. Someone mentioned an incident in the main stand where a Pars fan made a tool of himself ranting at Stevie Crawford. Ross McArthur spoke to the chap personally, both at the match and after it. The German contingent had potential investors in their company, they were raging. The reason I'm relaying this subject matter is that any form of fan wuckfittery isn't something the board has a high tolerance over. Factor in the battling at Falkirk v Dunfermline games last season, also the battling at 3 Dunfermline Rovers games, continual issues over pyros at East End, Pars fans kicking the sh*t out of a disabled laddie doesn't make good reading at all. To date I don't think the club has actually done anything effective to combat or attempt to resolve the behavioural issues within our fan group. It's not just any old stuff thats part of the Scottish game, it's continually damaging and therefore concerning. Regardless of what anyones opinion is (mine included) there's no question it'll be high on the agenda as subject matter within the club. These guys have said they're in it for the long haul, I believe that's probably the case, but I do wonder how much of a stomach they have for managing difficult situations. At least Ross McArthur never shirked away from meeting these issues head on.

We are a community club, but that community has some issues, like any other one.

You say pyro etc isn’t just any old stuff, and whilst you may not agree with it, it’s absolutely everywhere, I’d reckon the number of clubs in Scotland who have had fans let of pyro in the past year is in the dozens 

Fan violence clearly isn’t acceptable, but again it’s not a dunfermline only issue, nearly every club of our size has issues with it and it isn’t going to be solved easily.

As for fans going off their nut, that’s football, if it’s something that’s going to enrage them I have no idea why they are involved in football TBH.

I think sometimes theres some twee idea about what it means to be a community club, I don’t think any of the incidents even the worst ones are that much of a surprise, they are just things your going to need to deal with as part of running a club.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

We are a community club, but that community has some issues, like any other one.

You say pyro etc isn’t just any old stuff, and whilst you may not agree with it, it’s absolutely everywhere, I’d reckon the number of clubs in Scotland who have had fans let of pyro in the past year is in the dozens 

Fan violence clearly isn’t acceptable, but again it’s not a dunfermline only issue, nearly every club of our size has issues with it and it isn’t going to be solved easily.

As for fans going off their nut, that’s football, if it’s something that’s going to enrage them I have no idea why they are involved in football TBH.

I think sometimes theres some twee idea about what it means to be a community club, I don’t think any of the incidents even the worst ones are that much of a surprise, they are just things your going to need to deal with as part of running a club.

Exactly this.  None of the issues we have faced last few years are unique to ANY club in Europe.

25 minutes ago, da_no_1 said:

Sounds like we'll have 1 in for the weekend and it looks like someone who was lined up to come in during the next window.

I'm enjoying the game of guess who. I think with the wording it'll be a young player? 

It won't be Mahon.