Clubs Accounts

Grant

3 hours ago, Dave said:

Looking forward to that update.  Trying not to jump to any conclusions meantime. 

Hopefully we'll gain some clarity on questions asked. I've deliberately not posted the questions included in my email to the club out of respect for the clubs right to reply. If the itinerary for the meeting allows us to discuss the questions then all fair and well. 

• Upvote 7

Summary of tonight. I got there at 7pm and discussions were underway. I thought it started then, but now realise it started at 6pm, so apologies I missed a huge chunk of information.

James McPake speaking about the bad injury situation this season. Some of the situation could be attributed to his decision making and maybe his naivety as a younger manager. He had overlooked the effects of increasing training for individual players (not all players as physical as each other). Since then they've set about adjusting training for each player (where required) after speaking to a top sports scientist. This also led to a full review and how it introduced a learning from experience situation. They now have a regular review every 28 days or so and they're a lot more educated and effective in managing training and injury. David Cook spoke about how they've brought in a new physio who has 15 to 20 years experience in his profession. He also mentioned pitch inconsistency and how it may have added to the injury situation.

The question was asked if there was any concerns about our own pitch? the area under the main stand was mentioned, the persistent rain had caused issues. Pitch hasn't had any major level of maintenance, but it's not felt it is yet needed. Also James McPake mentioned the state of some of the pitches we're asking players to play on. 

Drew Main spoke about the damage to the toilets at Starks Park and how inevitably it would cost our club money in damage repair. David Cook spoke about understanding the passion in such games but we've all got to moderate our behaviour. The topic of self policing among our fans was discussed. It was felt that this does go on and things are getting better with less objects onto the pitch this season (may be an indicator).

The question was asked of there was anything specific that fans could do to help the club (few examples given as a for instance). The basic answer was, just keep supporting the team home and away in the way we have been doing. James McPake spoke about he always tells his players to go and applaud the fans win or defeat. He stressed he understands fans booing and voicing their frustrations, and they're absolutely entitled to do so. He also said that the players actually go to the fans at the end of a match regardless (without his persuasion). He spoke about how passionate he felt after our recent win against Partick Thistle and what a lift it gave him and the players. He also said after Dundee he had fell out of love with the game but almost immediately after joining Dunfermline that changed.

Specific mention was made about the recent display in the NW in respect to Harry Melrose passing away. Mr Melrose's family were touched by this.

Question was asked about the lack of converting chances into goals and just about the lack of goals this season. Some discussion about the reasons for this, the frustration, some mention of statistics, of chances created,chances not taken etc, also tactics. Maybe players sometimes lacking positional awareness, not throwing themselves at opportunities with a real desire to score. Not being ruthless enough in set play situations, being a bit wiser in the box. Bottom line is there's  no specific answer but they're working really hard to remedy the situation. It's priority given our current plight and league position.

Digs asked about the potential of playing Tyler Sutherland, and James McPake spoke about it becoming closer and also about his almost natural ability to score goals.

On Kane, he's not playing against United but should be fit to play the remaining games this season (avoiding injury of course). Discussion on how an experienced player like Kane up front is actually invaluable for us. His ability, drive, skill and being streetwise on the pitch. 

Discussion on how good a lot of our play in games has been, yet because we can't score goals it obviously cost us by not finding a way to win games. Last season we had the benefit of having a consistent defence to build from.

The following text below is from memory as I had stopped taking notes at this stage (to ask questions) and it's from memory, so I've done my best to give a fair representation of the questions asked and the answers given. Maybe Digs can correct anything I've mispresented and I'd be happy with that.

Question was asked it is known that the club is only funding the development at Rosyth because of a £700,000 grant funding and an additional loan of £300k from Fussball. I'm assuming this is because the cash reserves of DAFC cannot cover this?, I personally don't feel that the question about the cash reserves not being available from club funds was clearly answered, but maybe my articulation or interpretation wasn't up to scratch. What point was clear is that the Fussball representatives had no trouble funding the £300k. It was also asked if it's cost £1million to this stage, where would the next funds come for the next stage. Again, I'm not sure the answer was in any great level of detail, but they have a strategy for this. 

The point was made that we're seeing significant losses for 3 consecutive seasons, over £1millon 2022/23 and a 6 figure sum for this season, concerns that this isn't sustainable for a club of our size and in our position. David Cook pointed out his 20 years in football and the business experience and acumen of the gentlemen from Gmbh Fussball and they're comfortable with the way they're managing the situation. They'll drive these losses down going forward

Question asked about the potential for the provision of a detailed and coherent business plan from the board outlining their plans. David Cook replied that they have a strategy and they're confident in the strategy. Again stressing the experience of those on the Board. He also said that putting out frequent statements would be repetitive and maybe not adding a great deal of value. 

Some discussion (again) about why some supporters will be concerned about the losses sustained given what happened just over 10 years ago. Stressed by the person making the point no one was questioning the integrity of the board, just seeking reassurance and clarity through the opportunity to ask questions about the losses.

There was more detail and discussion points I'll have missed, but that's it from me.

• Upvote 9

Huge thanks to you and Digs for all the feedback you've gathered. Its reassuring to hear some explanations for all these varied topics.

I'd personally still like a looky at the P&L one day to see where exactly all that 1m loss came from but if they're happy to absorb that for now, fair enough. I've worked for a company that planned for such things and now is thriving, so as long as the manager and players keep us up this season it doesn't sound too bad.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Eastendtales said:

, so as long as the manager and players keep us up this season it doesn't sound too bad.

I'll refer you to Grants post in the other thread. I might be wrong but he seems to think we're utterly ****ed

5 minutes ago, da_no_1 said:

I'll refer you to Grants post in the other thread. I might be wrong but he seems to think we're utterly ****ed

You are, I have concerns about a few aspects of the club, Primarily financial sustainability, with me not quite believing some of the communication that's coming out with regards to that, which in turn leads me doubting a few more things the club say. However there were also good things that came out the meeting. The German investors seem commited*, us having a look and getting second opinions so we could make changes with regards to the injuries (And not just calling it bad luck), and I genuinely beleive the Rosyth training ground if done well, will be massive for the club. 

There's many areas of the club that we could improve on IMO, if we were a well run club we could be a established Premier league club, that we were in league one last season, and we're in a relegation battle this season would say we're not quite at the level where we could say that we're a well run club. 

We're not utterly ****ed, things aren't brilliant, there's a middle ground to that. 

• Upvote 1

I share the sustainability concerns, that won't change anytime soon for me. I kept my powder dry till around the time we were thumped 5-0. I've been hearing all sorts, and although I'm disregarding a lot of it, some of it comes from what I'd consider trustworthy people.

If we keep winning I'll be happy with our fundamental reason for being, a competent team team on the park. 

I meant to post up the questions I had sent in the email to the club. I obviously didn't get a reply but instead Drew Main said I'd get answers on the night, that way more people get to hear the replies. On hindsight I should have not sent the questions, but they just have might have had an influence of hastening the supporters meeting last Thursday. Anyway, here are those questions, which I kinda got round to asking toward the meeting end.

• Exactly how has the club managed to make a trading loss of £1m + last season? 
  • It is now known that the club is only funding the current development at Rosyth because of £700k grant funding and an additional loan from Fussball for £300k, I’m assuming that is because the existing cash reserves of DAFC cannot adequately cover this? 
  • Why Fussball are not converting their loans to shares to demonstrate they are fully committed to DAFC?
  • It is now known that another hefty loss will be made this season (three large losses in consecutive seasons). How can the supporters have faith in the club’s current business model, with the cash reserves being depleted year after year?
  • It’d be good for the supporters to understand, what is Fussball’s detailed and coherent business plan for the future?
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Piracy said:

I meant to post up the questions I had sent in the email to the club. I obviously didn't get a reply but instead Drew Main said I'd get answers on the night, that way more people get to hear the replies. On hindsight I should have not sent the questions, but they just have might have had an influence of hastening the supporters meeting last Thursday. Anyway, here are those questions, which I kinda got round to asking toward the meeting end.

• Exactly how has the club managed to make a trading loss of £1m + last season? 
  • It is now known that the club is only funding the current development at Rosyth because of £700k grant funding and an additional loan from Fussball for £300k, I’m assuming that is because the existing cash reserves of DAFC cannot adequately cover this? 
  • Why Fussball are not converting their loans to shares to demonstrate they are fully committed to DAFC?
  • It is now known that another hefty loss will be made this season (three large losses in consecutive seasons). How can the supporters have faith in the club’s current business model, with the cash reserves being depleted year after year?
  • It’d be good for the supporters to understand, what is Fussball’s detailed and coherent business plan for the future?

I replied to your email on Friday. Did you not receive it?

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Kaiser Chief said:

I replied to your email on Friday. Did you not receive it?

I'll have a look Drew. May have went into my spam. Will go find it and reply. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

• Upvote 1