The Pars v ICT

Two games left and while mathematically we still need a point to be “safe” and be assured of not slipping into a relegation play off place. Sadly, the rather bland performance last Saturday allowed Morton to move above the Pars into 5th spot which should be a viable target for the faithful. This Saturday the Pars welcome Big Dunc’s ICT to East End Park for the last home game of the season. This is not a meaningless fixture by any circumstance and Inverness will be highly motivated to take points up the A9 on Saturday evening. The Highlanders sit 8th in the table above Queens Park (who face Arbroath) and 5 points behind the Pars. Recent form suggest the Pars are favourite’s only losing one game in the last six and Inverness losing three of their games over the same period. Inverness last outing was a narrow 1-0 defeat against Raith where they could be considered unlucky - whereas the Pars last outing was a draw, and recent efforts fall into the bland category It would be great if the Pars go out with a bang and take all three points, but Inverness have more to play for and quite a formidable defence behind them I suggest a low scoring draw is the likely outcome. COYP

• Upvote 1

I'd like to get 5th for the extra prize money but its hardly something to get the pulse racing.

Our season is petering out, were not playing great but not totally terrible either.

Folk claiming its a big game to avoid 9th are being silly, we have less than a 1% chance of ending up there FFS

18 hours ago, parsforlife said:

I'd like to get 5th for the extra prize money but its hardly something to get the pulse racing.

Our season is petering out, were not playing great but not totally terrible either.

Folk claiming its a big game to avoid 9th are being silly, we have less than a 1% chance of ending up there FFS

Not sure that 1% stacks up anymore.

Fixtures on Saturday for teams below us include,

Queens Park away at Arbroath, (could see Queens winning by 2 or 3).

Ayr away at Thistle, they could easily get a draw.

Who’d completely bet against Inverness popping a couple past us and us failing to score?

That means we go into the last game, Ayr even on points with us, ICT just 2 points behind, and QP 3 points behind with the goal swing down to say 3 or 4?

Queens Park have Airdrie at home, ICT have Morton at home.  Both of those are dead rubbers for the home sides.  

QP and ICT wins there and us losing by 2 v Ayr - that sees us 9th due to QP having scored more goals than us.

That does NOT feel like 1% chance to me! 🫣

• Upvote 1

Agreed......but there's still a lot of ifs and buts in that nightmare scenario.

I'm hoping for an alternative set of results which could easily also happen, especially given results never go the way you think they will in this league.

Partick just destroyed Airdrie so they're perfectly capable of seeing off Ayr at home to almost guarantee themselves 3rd.

Watched QP last weekend. They looked bang average to me certainly no better than ourselves. If we were going up to Gayfield needing a win to stay in touch would you think it would be an easy 2 or 3 goal win for us? Think they might sneak it because they need it more but it doesn't always work out like that.

Inverness caused Raith a few problems last Friday but they couldn't score in a barrel of fannies, similar to ourselves - a low-scoring draw would be my prediction.

We deserve at least one relaxing worry free weekend after the season we've had to endure!

• Upvote 1

Those of us with longer memories will recall sitting in the Rugby Park stand one end of season , the sun was shining and the pars were staying up. Unless they lost something like 7-0 to erode our better goal difference. I think  we were 4-0 down at half time and bricking it but Killie completely eased off and we stayed up. 

Complacency can make fools of us all.

• Upvote 2

I was at that game.

I'm not complacent - I've been watching the Pars for nearly 40 years & never take any result for granted.

Just pointing out that 4 other teams would probably/definitely take our position if offered.

35 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Those of us with longer memories will recall sitting in the Rugby Park stand one end of season , the sun was shining and the pars were staying up. Unless they lost something like 7-0 to erode our better goal difference. I think  we were 4-0 down at half time and bricking it but Killie completely eased off and we stayed up. 

Complacency can make fools of us all.

That was the very game that came to my mind.   I wasn’t even there, was working down in Plymouth - heart in my mouth when I saw the half time score.

This will be a hard game.

Midfield is a concern. Physically we are weak in there. 
Breen going to come in for his first start in quite a while. Will he break down again ? 

Bite your hand off for a draw right now 

• Upvote 1

On 23/04/2024 at 17:21, Rossmcno1 said:

That was the very game that came to my mind.   I wasn’t even there, was working down in Plymouth - heart in my mouth when I saw the half time score.

Few permutations. 

We were level on points with Livi, but with a better GD and a better goal scored by one. 

If Dundee won, and we'd lost by enough we would've been in danger. They drew with Livi 1-1 on the final day, if they'd won 2-1, and Killie won 6-0 we would've been on the same points, gd and goals scored. 

As it turns out with them drawing we could've got scudded by ten for all it mattered. 

• Like 1