Out of contract players

I think it’s just Jakubiak and Allan of the first team squad that are out of contract in a few weeks.  What are folks thoughts on keeping them?

I’ve been very impressed with Allan in the second half of this season when he has played. Problem for me is he is similar to Chalmers and Chalmers is already under contract for next season. Allan is a better player for me though but is there room for both of them?

I wouldn’t be offering Jak a contract. A goal return of 2 goals in 20 odd games is poor. On his day he is unplayable but those days are rare. We already have Wighton and McCann under contract while I’m presuming we will be in for Kane. Plus Sutherland must be on the verge of some minutes? I just don’t see room for Jak especially as we only play one striker most of the time.

I think this highlights the problem we have with so many fringe players under contract for next season meaning it will be really difficult to freshen up the squad.

I think we need to tell the fringe guys they are not in our plans and can find another club. Maybe knowing they won't play games could be enough for them to move on. They might decide to sit and get paid for a year though. We can't make the big changes required without moving them on. 

1 hour ago, kelty_par said:

^ Agree. To push on to the next level we need to try get better and not sure Allan has been that great tbh, just a steady player nothing more 

I've never been that impressed with him, but he's shown something recently, with the goal at Arbroath and the cross for Bene's goal yesterday. I'd hang onto him a bit longer and see how he does this year.

I also wouldn't be sad to see Jak stay, although we still need a goalscorer. He's got a lot of creativity in him I think.

12 minutes ago, SanguinePar said:

I've never been that impressed with him, but he's shown something recently, with the goal at Arbroath and the cross for Bene's goal yesterday. I'd hang onto him a bit longer and see how he does this year.

I also wouldn't be sad to see Jak stay, although we still need a goalscorer. He's got a lot of creativity in him I think.

Unfortunately we’ve got enough signed up who aren’t good enough. If we can’t move them on we’ll just be in same position fighting relegation next season I fear 

• Upvote 1

Has Kane not recently signed a contract with St Johnstone? To be honest I think he would be a gamble next season and surely there must be similar options available or better.

Little not out of contract so a new goalie not be needed and one that can properly challenge Mehmet.

Defence if Edwards goes he needs replaces I have doubts about bene and breen and who knows if the loan signings will remain.

Midfield is Otoo and Hamilton possibly Allan but the rest is dire if Todd isn't scoring what else does he offer. We need boys with flare and energy.

Strikers if all strikers could be released then that would maybe be the dream and start again.

We bit imagination with recruitment would be good but not over board with boys from lower league England I don't think that works Inverness had plenty of them and it's not worked.

16 minutes ago, Legend85 said:

Has Kane not recently signed a contract with St Johnstone?

Todd isn't scoring what else does he offer. We need boys with flare and energy.

We bit imagination with recruitment would be good but not over board with boys from lower league England I don't think that works Inverness had plenty of them and it's not worked.

Kane only signed a short term deal with St johnstone until the end of this season.

I agree Todd's biggest asset is goalscoring but he also offers alot of energy.  Flare is badly lacking, summers and moffat were meant to be that but they just get bullied and cancelled out. 

The english market,  we don't just need to look at inverness, we can look at ourselves, Benjamin, holmes, fagon-walcott. 1 in 3 isn't a good enough success rate.(ignored moffat as he was known entity as a youth player up here)  even fagon-walcott mcpake had a previous look at him in via mckpake. 

54 minutes ago, kelty_par said:

Unfortunately we’ve got enough signed up who aren’t good enough. If we can’t move them on we’ll just be in same position fighting relegation next season I fear 

Thing is, the squad we have got us where we are right now, despite being too thin to start with and absolutely decimated with injuries.

That same squad, with a bit more luck in that regard (surely it can't be that bad again!), would have picked us up at least 3 or 4 more points and probably more than that. 

I'm not saying we don't need to make changes, and add depth, I've been saying that since this time last year in fact, but I think Allan is starting to show promise, and I wouldn't be looking to move him on yet (last year, I probably would have been).

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Benjamin, holmes, fagon-walcott.

I think it's harsh to consider Benjamin a failure of a signing, he's barely played, and in one of the instances where he did he scored a vital goal (at Firhill)

Holmes, no argument, I don't think anyone can dispute that it hasn't worked out for him here.

I'd like to keep Allan, he offers a bit more than Chalmers, younger and far better with set pieces. Jakubiak I think offers us more than Wighton (Hard to judge but mostly injured in some form) or Mccann (Needs some decent coaching).

unfortunately its Wighton and Chalmers who still have contracts.

Benjamin, Holmes, Summers and Moffat. The first two aren't anywhere near any standard for this level, Summers doesn't fit in at all bit like Mochrie last season. Moffats very fleeting but in the wrong position. 

Kane and MFW would be keeps if possible and Miles would be good but only on a free.

Memhet we are stuck with for now, I though Little was out of contract this year?

O'Halloran is a paradox, why did we sign him? He's not a wing back and we won't play him up front.

1 hour ago, SanguinePar said:

Thing is, the squad we have got us where we are right now, despite being too thin to start with and absolutely decimated with injuries.

That same squad, with a bit more luck in that regard (surely it can't be that bad again!), would have picked us up at least 3 or 4 more points and probably more than that. 

I'm not saying we don't need to make changes, and add depth, I've been saying that since this time last year in fact, but I think Allan is starting to show promise, and I wouldn't be looking to move him on yet (last year, I probably would have been).

I agree with injuries, we were slightly unfortunate with them, but even if you attribute 10 points to them we are only scrapping into the play-offs at best, we must do better next year, there's 30+ extra points we should be chasing next year, that's way more than just injuries can account for.

1 hour ago, SanguinePar said:

I think it's harsh to consider Benjamin a failure of a signing, he's barely played

The fact he's barely played is part of why he's a failure. There's no point in having guys around who can't get on the pitch.

The squad we have will never compete in top 4 championship level…could be down to the brutal way the team is set up week in/out🤷 

A rangers mate actually laughed at the MOH signing saying he’s a lazy barsteward who will be a benchwarmer… then we have Wighton and Chalmers!