New third kit

1 hour ago, Al k said:

Alright people chill your tit's, simply a point of view from another perspective well aware of folk can and can't do lol. :vanish:

Wasn't having a go mate, that argument just gets brought up whenever new replica strips for any team are mentioned by anyone in any context and I just think it's a daft argument. 

I don't think I ever asked for anything out of the blue and got it just because I wanted it, and it doesn't work like that for most folk I'd imagine, that's why I don't understand why it's used as an argument for not producing kits. 

If anyone feels they are under pressure from their kids to always buy the latest £100 full kit when they can't afford it, that's on them, not the clubs, it's hardly a priority.

36 minutes ago, Digs said:

Wasn't having a go mate, that argument just gets brought up whenever new replica strips for any team are mentioned by anyone in any context and I just think it's a daft argument. 

I don't think I ever asked for anything out of the blue and got it just because I wanted it, and it doesn't work like that for most folk I'd imagine, that's why I don't understand why it's used as an argument for not producing kits. 

If anyone feels they are under pressure from their kids to always buy the latest £100 full kit when they can't afford it, that's on them, not the clubs, it's hardly a priority.

I'm only kidding, i know no-ones being personal. It's not the other site, people can actually have different views on here and still laugh about it. It's all swings and roundabouts, Folk will always have a go at the club and everyone is correct the parents don't have to or should be in position where they feel they have to. 

• Upvote 1

Obviously nobody is under any obligation to buy it, but I just find the whole 3rd kit phenomenon to be pretty distasteful in general, mainly because of how rarely these tops will ever actually see play through actual necessity (although I won't be surprised if tomorrow we're clad in this weird bumblebee outfit in order to promote sales - instead of wearing our actual strip).

Its very, very rare that between a home and an away kit each, 2 teams can't find a colour combo that works for a match to take place. 3rd kits are basically never needed. So why do they exist at all? As a revenue stream, of course.

Which is fine, except that they are not being sold as just another bit of £25 merch like a training top - they're being sold at full price, just like the 'real' strips, both home and away, despite not having anything like the same significance as those.

And, to repeat myself, I know nobody has any obligation to buy 3rd kits. But a decent number of people, both adults and kids, will likely want to - and that's where the cash grab comes in (not to mention the disappointment for those unable to justify the cost) with clubs creating a demand for an item which is not of equivalent worth to things which nonetheless have the equivalent price.

It's not right IMO, and in our case, is another indicator (see also the stadium renaming, although for me that's much worse than this) of the club's shift away from more traditional values to a more money-oriented, business-like approach - and I don't mean that in a good way.

25 minutes ago, SanguinePar said:

Obviously nobody is under any obligation to buy it, but I just find the whole 3rd kit phenomenon to be pretty distasteful in general, mainly because of how rarely these tops will ever actually see play through actual necessity (although I won't be surprised if tomorrow we're clad in this weird bumblebee outfit in order to promote sales - instead of wearing our actual strip).

Its very, very rare that between a home and an away kit each, 2 teams can't find a colour combo that works for a match to take place. 3rd kits are basically never needed. So why do they exist at all? As a revenue stream, of course.

Which is fine, except that they are not being sold as just another bit of £25 merch like a training top - they're being sold at full price, just like the 'real' strips, both home and away, despite not having anything like the same significance as those.

And, to repeat myself, I know nobody has any obligation to buy 3rd kits. But a decent number of people, both adults and kids, will likely want to - and that's where the cash grab comes in (not to mention the disappointment for those unable to justify the cost) with clubs creating a demand for an item which is not of equivalent worth to things which nonetheless have the equivalent price.

It's not right IMO, and in our case, is another indicator (see also the stadium renaming, although for me that's much worse than this) of the club's shift away from more traditional values to a more money-oriented, business-like approach - and I don't mean that in a good way.

I absolutely agree that the only reason to do this is a business decision.    But I do wonder how this contradicts with ‘traditional values’.  I don’t even know what those are tbh.  How would you define them?

I could provide my own opinion but I don’t think we could agree between a handful of fans on this forum let alone as a full Fanbase.

I suppose this is what David Cook has been brought in to do by maximising revenue for the club. I cant say i'm particularly enamored with it but the club will have done the sums to make sure it benefits from it. I still think that if the club was to ring fence the profits made from this for the Acadamy it may prove to be an even bigger seller.    

3 hours ago, parsforlife said:

I absolutely agree that the only reason to do this is a business decision.    But I do wonder how this contradicts with ‘traditional values’.  I don’t even know what those are tbh.  How would you define them?

Well, that's a bit of a moveable feast.

I guess I just mean things like having a certain integrity in how the club operates - and (to me anyway) selling the name of our long-standing home to a sponsor, or releasing replica shirts which only exist as something to sell, not as replicas of what the players actually wear to play in, just lacks that kind of integrity.

To me, the way the club was post-2012, with Pars United, a degree of fan ownership, rebuilding links with the community and local businesses, etc, was a great time. The Pars as a Community Interest Company was a model I really liked, even if it meant a slower pace in pursuing our footballing goals.

Losing that model with our new(ish) owners saddened me, and still does, and a number of things that have happened since then have not sat right with me.

I just feel a bit disillusioned, to see us apparently turning into a club like Livingston. Again, these shirts are only a small part of it, but I do think it's a pattern.

The day we stopped Celtic winning the league, we played in a 3rd kit.

I don't think we should have one every year but it seems as though there have been supply issues with Joma, who are apparently getting replaced next season, so this was a chance to ensure there is a replica kit in the shop for Christmas.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on this one. Time will tell though.