Queens Park v The Pars

1 minute ago, Eastendtales said:

I'm a big fan of Wighton but if we're asking (at times) our lone striker to drop so deep, it's concerning a bit. We're scunnereed for goals, I'd be happier to see us being a bit more direct in our home games at least. 

I think Jak is decent too, but I see them both as "secondary" or support forwards, whatever, rather than all out goal scorers. Finding someone that's the perfect foil for either of these two would be brilliant.

Agree with the second part. He's not being asked to drop 'deep' though, he's being asked to drop into the hole, but the onus is then on the 'supporting strikers' or the midfield to get beyond him, like Matty Todd did so well last year. It's the reason he scored 11 goals. We've not managed to do that as well this year and so folk just think he's being lazy by not getting on the end of crosses as if he's the only person in the team who should do so. 

I like Jakubiak as well, and I thought with his two goals at Ayr, he'd finally cracked it but he was a bit unlucky with the one that hit the bar but equally it was a poor finish in the first half when he pulled it past the post when he went down the left. He did have a good game otherwise though and I thought his hold up play was excellent, he linked well with midfield and was willing to run the channels too. Anyone who can't see that should probably take up another sport and stop talking about football because frankly, they've no idea what they're watching. 

This is our issue, we've got good footballers but no-one who is looking like a lethal striker who can do both. I do think though, if they could, they'd be worth a few quid. I personally don't like the forward formation we play but I get why we do it. I just think we should maybe have adapted it a bit better depending on the personnel available rather than trying to get players to do things that might not suit them.

Two up top together gives more options, as opposed to our 1-1, especially for getting on the end of crosses, but it then means our midfield really need to do more in getting on the ball. Chalmers remains our only midfielder willing to get on the ball at every opportunity. Which btw he does even when folk are giving him stick or he's just made a mistake, which speaks to his strength as a player. Lesser players would hide in those circumstances. Summers and Moffat are clearly talented boys, and I don't know if it's what they're asked to do or not, but for me they need to get on the ball more and show for it more. Look at Summers goal on Tuesday, he's clearly capable but he and Moffat don't show for it in the same way Chalmers does, ie every time we have the ball. The two of them doing that would surely create more gaps, commit more defenders and win us more free kicks in the final third?

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Eastendtales said:

I'm a big fan of Wighton but if we're asking (at times) our lone striker to drop so deep, it's concerning a bit. We're scunnereed for goals, I'd be happier to see us being a bit more direct in our home games at least. 

Some of the best sides of the past 15 years have played with a false 9,having your lone striker drop deep to try drag players out of position is fairly well established as a tactic. What it needs though is for other players to play there role well within it, which Matty Todd did last year. 

1 hour ago, Digs said:

. Look at Summers goal on Tuesday, he's clearly capable but he and Moffat don't show for it in the same way Chalmers does, ie every time we have the ball. The two of them doing that would surely create more gaps, commit more defenders and win us more free kicks in the final third?

RT. 

Said it a few times against Raith that they were almost hiding. They might have just been blowing out but we needed more. They're talented on the ball but they need to learn what to do off it. 

Mehmet
Moh-Comrie-Hamilton-Allan-Edwards

Chalmers-Summers

Moffat

Wighton-Jak

I think, Otoo the latest to get injured, I can't imagine Wighton and Summers are fit. We have no senior subs, christ. 

We lined up against Raith with three centre backs, and we lost all of them. **** me. 

Ok line up considering but fek me there’s nothing on that bench that could come on and give experience/change the game. 
Hope the team can dig in and grind out a result tonight. There’s still probably a few niggling injuries still in the team… mon the pars!!

2 minutes ago, Al k said:

Lovely nugget on BBC Scotland tonight.

Apparently we have so many injuries we've named two keepers on the bench. 

We’re also loaning summers from ourselves.

This is got to be all out attack, no point asking players to play in a manner unnatural them. 

2 minutes ago, Al k said:

Hope Mcpake's offered Dom a pre-contract before kick off.

I really hope he hasn’t. He is exactly the sort of character he doesn’t want in the dressing room. Also, if ever there was a player who enjoyed an unwarranted reputation by having one good game in every 3 or 4, it’s him.