Armed forces members get in to EEP for a fiver on Saturday

SanguinePar

Hopefully this will be of use to some people on here or their friends/family who maybe don't go to the matches very often.

I do have to question why they're doing this though. I've no problem with the armed services (maybe with some of the things some of their number do or are sent off to do, but that's different) but I don't really see the reasoning for this - do Nurses get in for a fiver? Teachers? Bin men? Sweet Shop owners?

Just seems kind of weird to me, and a bit Americanised. It's not even like it's Remembrance Day or anything, so I don't really follow the thinking.

• Upvote 1

Well it makes sense if the Scots Guards are going to be there. Why not tie it in with that? If it attracts people who might not normally come, who then may come back, I don't see the issue tbh. 

Maybe they are going to do a blue light discount day further down the track?

I have no problem at all with this. This regiment is partly formed from The Black Watch, which many people from Fife joined. These people are on duty all over the world and it is a great gesture to have them here when they are at "home". The Club will get a few fivers they would not normally get and also a lot of respect. A win win for me.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Lochalsh Par said:

I have no problem at all with this. This regiment is partly formed from The Black Watch, which many people from Fife joined. These people are on duty all over the world and it is a great gesture to have them here when they are at "home". The Club will get a few fivers they would not normally get and also a lot of respect. A win win for me.

My knowledge of Scots Guards history isn't great, but I'm fairly certain they weren't formed from the black watch, for one the black watch came about in the next century I'm sure! 

1 hour ago, SanguinePar said:

Yeah, but that just raises a further question - why are they invited and getting in for free?

I realise it's not vastly important in the grand scheme of things, but I still wonder why it's happening.

Maybe I'm being daft here, but where does it say they're getting in free? The Scots Guards club in Edinburgh (of which there's no requirement to be in the military) is fairly big, surely they've just booked out the hospitality? They have events on throughout the year, this to me seems like the one for this month's members. The club of the back of it have seen an opportunity to then run a promo event, smart. 

2 hours ago, parsforlife said:

The fact scots guards are there is a deliberate ploy and is tied in with this plan.

That's a magnificent amount of assumption.

It clearly states the Scots Guards and their pipe band are guests of the club so presumably they might be playing before the game/at HT in the way it was a common occurrence in years gone by? Therefore they have added in a way to recognise the Armed Forces, especially given our historic military ties with McCrae's Battalion and the fact we have a bench outside EEP for a winner of the VC.

2 hours ago, SanguinePar said:

That's my point though - what's the occasion here? Just seems a bit random.

The occasion will probably be that the Scots Guard Club have got in contact for a day out/event. The club have then chucked a promo on top of that. 

Those coming from the SG club are unlikely to be Pars fans, so anything that gives a good impression of the club could lead to them spending more money in the future, good buisness. 

• Upvote 2